DNA analysis is relatively complex and performed historically using a range of methods. Flow cytometry ploidy analysis, genome size and others are performed elegantly in four simple steps: mechanical release of nuclei using gentle extraction chemicals, filtration through a cell-strainers filter, addition of a staining solution and automated analysis of hundreds nuclei per second.
Flow cytometry is an open system that just directly measures nuclear DNA content from tissues. Flow cytometry can be used for:
- Plant ploidy control
- Genome size and C-value determination
- Aneuploidy analysis
- Measurements with +/-1 chromosome accuracy in many plants
- Hybrid detection
- Apomixy of reproduction behavior exploration
- Polysomaty and chimeric plant analysis
- Cytotype identification in natural populations
Sysmex is a pioneer in this field and our flow cytometry solutions for determining plant nuclear DNA are designed to be simple, accurate and fast.
Sysmex DNA analysis solutions are dedicated and designed specifically for ploidy analysis and/or genome determination.
Sysmex’s DNA control UV and PI are characterised by highly homogeneous fluorescent staining of cell nuclei. They are well suited to check resolution and linearity since same cells are presented as both single cells and aggregates of two, three and more individuals. The excitation light beam size is adjusted to provide fluorescence intensity linearity for those applications.
Sysmex has defined particular analytical strategies to speed up analysis.
- Reduced acquisition time.
- Sysmex autoloader for full 96-well-plate analysis within 15 minutes.
- Fast statistical analysis with the option to define peaks automatically.
- Peak analysis function produces analytical ranges automatically.
- Minimal analyser cleaning times